This recipe is from my faithful red plaid Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. If you don't have one, order it immediately. Seriously. It has never failed me. I have this pretty bridal version.
Creamy Chicken & Noodles
Prep: 25 min Cook: 8-9 hours low OR 4 - 4 1/2 hours high
Makes: 6 main-dish servings. (I feel like we ate it for days...)
2 C. sliced carrot (4 medium)
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (3 medium - I used less)
1 C. sliced celery (2 stalks)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
3 medium chicken legs (drumstick -thigh portion; about 2 lbs.) SKINNED - [I used 2 chicken leg-thighs and it was more than enough. Also, the skinning a raw chicken leg almost turned me into a vegetarian. no joke. disgusting]
2 10.75-ounce cans reduced-fat & reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup [I just bought regular cream of chicken... let's be honest, is there really "reduced fat" CREAM OF CHICKEN soup? no.]
1/2 C. Water
1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. black pepper
10 ounces dried wide noodles (about 5 c.)
1 c. frozen peas [I left these out]
Season with salt and pepper (optional)
- In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker (mine is 6 quarts...) place carrot, onion, celery, parsley, and bay leaf. Place chicken (raw) on top of vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, stir together soup, water, thyme, & 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4- 4/12 hours.
- Remove chicken from cooker before eating. Cool slightly. Discard bay leaf
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Stir peas (if you add them) into soup mixture in cooker.
- Remove chicken from bones and shred/cut into bite sized pieces
- Stir the chicekn into the soup mixture in cooker.
To serve, spoon chicken mixture over noodles; toss gently to combine. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste.