Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

violence in chicago

i just watched a disturbing documentary about youth violence in chicago.
i haven't really been able to process my thoughts and emotions.
but a couple things that it made me feel are...
i miss chicago.
i miss the students i had and teaching there.
the video helped me to understand some of their conflicts that were so foreign to me, that i sometimes couldn't wrap my mind around.  like, why would you be so mad that some girl bumped into you in the hallway.
i miss driving around and seeing neighborhood convenience stores, parts of town where all the stores had spanish names, or chinese names, or korean names, or polish names. 
i miss the ethnic diversity.
i miss the public transportation. [dont get me wrong, i love an attached garage.]
i miss walking.
i miss downtown.
i miss the hugeness and the community all mixed up into one.
i miss talking to people for whom english was a second language.

this video also made me feel sad for children, children who grow up knowing nothing but violence, children who are victims of an epidemic.  (but not sad in a i'm-white-so-i-pity-you-minority-child way)

this video made me wonder how, when i lived so close to all violence, i lived so seemingly far away. 
this video made me wonder if there are any solutions.
i was AMAZED at some of the work this organization is doing amongst youth in Chicago.  not fake, pretend-to-be-problem-solvers work... like, real, in your face work where the rubber meets the road. and people put their guns away.  but it's not always a happy ending.

i don't fit into that organization's approach because i wasn't a gangbanger. but could i do something to help? could you?

this post doesn't begin to describe the thoughts rolling around in my head.

watch here if you want. it's long, close to 2 hours. (p.s. there are 2 versions... broadcast and the vsn. with the original language. if you haven't heard an extreme amount of cussing in a while, they're not kidding when they say "graphic language.")

anyone have thoughts about the youth violence epidemic? anyone impacted by it? let me know if you watch it and have reflections?

No comments:

Post a Comment