Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

HP

I've never been much into fantasy.  I read a ton of non-fiction.  But, I do love The Chronicles of Narnia (which I'm working my way through currently).  I also surprisingly loved The Hobbit, and put the rest of the LOTR series on my list, though I have yet to start tackling them.  Last summer I saw the 2nd part of the 7th Harry Potter movie with family.  I only went 'cause everyone else was going.  I've never read the books, thus my younger brothers (in law) had to update me on the story so I could somewhat follow along.  And I asked a LOT of questions during the movie.  (yeah, i was that girl.)  Well the movie's themes were so strinkingly and obviously Christian I was almost in shock.  I left thinking to myself, self, how did Christians get their panties in a twist over this?  (Side note - this was not the reason I never read the books.  honestly, i just never got into them.)  Anywhooo, I don't want to judge and if you have your reasons for not reading them, fine.  But that movie intrigued me.

Well, this summer I finally started them (It's kinda a committment, as you may well know from experience.)  I read the first book in a few days.  My thoughts, you ask? (or maybe you don't care...)  A fun kid's story with some great quotes and characters.  My favorite being:  "As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all – the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them." - Albus Dumbledore

Also, I couldn't get over the fact that the good house is represented by a lion and the evil house represented by a snake.  love that.

I was committed, so I ambitiously brought the next 3 books on our road trip vacation to Arizona and Utah.  I demolished them in about 5 days.  After #3, I was completely hooked.

I had a similar reaction to number 2 as number 1, although I have been impressed with Rowling's storytelling from the get-go.  She is a GREAT storyteller.

But after #3 and #4, I was amazed.  The plot and characters are so intricately woven throughout each book.  It quickly went way beyond a children's story.  Not to mention, there is so much wonderful symbolism (more about that another time). 

Thursday night, I finished the 842nd page of book number 5 and will be purchasing number 6 for our trip back to Lincoln from Chicago. 

They've only gotten better and better.  One of my favorite things about the books is the clear line between good and evil.  Some characters might walk the line for a while, but they ultimately are on one side or the other.  She leaves no room for an inbetween. 

I don't know if i'll become one of those people who reads and re-reads them.  And I won't be signing up for any fan clubs soon.  But I will be purchasing a set to read to my kids when they're old enough one day :)   And I may or may not sit through all the movies... we'll see.


Here are a few of my favorite quotes so far.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
- Quote by Albus Dumbledore

Indeed, your failure to understand that there are things much worse than death has always been your greatest weakness.- Quote from Dumbledore to Voldermort

If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.- Quote by Sirius Black

When you have seen as much of life as I have, you will not underestimate the power of obsessive love.- Quote by Albus Dumbledore     while some might interpret this quote, thinking of their own love relationships here on earth (not a bad thing), I couldn't help but think of the greatest love the world has ever known.  "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him would not perish, but have eternal life."  (John 3:16)  Now THAT is some obsessive love. 

It is our choices… that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
- Quote by Albus Dumbledore   Here I am reminded of this proverb: "Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right."  (Proverbs 20:11)


Have you read them?  Did you like them?  Why or why not?  Who is your favorite character? 




No comments:

Post a Comment