Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Highlights

Occasionally, I give the students a few minutes to work on a written activity.  One time, as I went around the room, I noticed one girl copying another girl's answers.  (Side note- girl 1 is copying girl 2 and girl 2 supposedly has an IEP for a learning disability, but in my class she's a genius so... I'm pretty sure they should evaluate girl 1.  Anyway, what do I know.)  I walked over and calmly told girl 1 "Dasha, I'd rather you try it yourself and get it wrong than copy hers because you won't learn it this way."
Dasha: "She's helping me."  (Girl 2 hasn't said a word.)
Me:  Why don't you ask her to explain it to you?
Dasha (screaming and frazzled): "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT OKAY JUST MOVE OUT LET ME KNOW FIGURE IT AND HER HELP ME."
Me (thinking): Maybe she won't be crazy tomorrow.

  
I have 10 or so male students that tower over me.  Tower.  The tallest is 6' 8" ... seriously.  One time, we were playing jeopardy, and I saw his hand go up first so I called on him.  A kid from the other team yelled, "That aint fair- he got a 20 foot wingspan."  - I always giggle inside when one of these guys quietly answers a questions "yes, ma'am." Sweet.


Kyle: "Mrs. Cook, how old were you when you got married?"
Me: "22."
Britanya: "Seriously? Girl, she say she 22 when she got married"  (not sure who she was talkin' to)
Me: yep.
Kyle: "Do you have a kid?"
Me: nope
Britanya: She aint no baby momma but i thought you was at first
Kyle: "oh, i just never heard of no one gettin married at 22 without a baby."


Brianna: "Miss Cook, I just gotta tell you I was wit this guy and he wasn't my boyfriend but now he is and we going out to dinner and i just wanted to tell you."  Melts your heart.  I love teenagers!  
Me: "Have fun.  Be safe.  I still get excited when my husband asks me out on dates."
Brianna (in that indescribable high school girl tone):aawwwww

1 comment:

  1. I love reading these postings, Renee! It has been great to have some insight into your life :)

    ReplyDelete