Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Becoming a Living Sacrifice

The past couple posts have been about school/ work but I'm going to take it in a different direction tonight.  Last year, I was living in Mount Prospect and working in the city.  With traffic, I had about an hour drive each way give or take a few... this commute gave me built in alone time with the Lord every day! before AND after my work day :) I would crank up the gospel tunes (picture me jamming by myself in rush hour traffic even though everyone around you looks angry and tired in their cars... hmmm)   anyway, I would also have the luxury of plenty of time to listen to good sermons.  Well now that my commute is only 15-20 minutes, it takes me a few trips to get through a sermon.  This past week I have listened to a sermon titled "becoming a living sacrifice" based on Romans 12:1-2.  The pastor taught that we all have a destiny to be fulfilled in Christ.  So many people wander through life thinking "what am I here for?"  Even as a Christian, I have often questioned why this season?  what comes next?  what am I supposed to do anyway? what's my purpose?  Through many past situations, God has faithfully reminded me- "I am the potter, you are the clay... let your light shine before men... you have Christ in you... I have a plan for you.... follow me."  The pastor explained that our first step to "fulfilling our destiny" is becoming a living sacrifice.  He said that God loves us too much to give us more than we can handle.  When God gives us a dream/ vision or desire for something, that might be a long haul thing and we need preparation before.  We have to be tested and strengthened and we have to become a living sacrifice.  It led me to think about some of the Bible "greats..."  Moses- long time in the desert before leading the Israelites.  David- even after God anointed him king, it was several years before he became king.  Joseph- had visions of his family bowing down but ended up in prison and as a servant.  Even after he gained power under pharaoh, it was still years before his brothers came to him.  Paul spent 3 years prepping.  (The pastor also noted that we so often think we're ready before God thinks we're ready... hmm)  In addressing ministry specifically, he said we make ministry so complicated sometimes.  Think about it- the uneducated apostles evangelized the known world within a matter of a few decades... and they didn't have any of the communication or technology we have now.  That's a lot of round about discussion all to say a couple things:
1. Thank God for his grace and desire to have a relationship with me :) He WANTS to communicate with me and teach me.  He is a personal God!
2. I need to become a living sacrifice by renewing my mind with the word... repeatedly... constantly. 
3.  It's okay to have a preparation phase.  To not have it all figured out.  To wait on the Lord and do his will where I am right now. every day.

What has God been teaching you personally lately? 
-Ren

2 comments:

  1. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

    Recently it's been so hard for me to wait; I want to know right now what God wants for my life. I'm learning to trust that He's working within me in ways I can't see to prepare me for whatever is to come!

    susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, reading those words from you brings tears to my eyes. God is so faithful! We've been friends for quite sometime now but now we're sisters in Christ. even better!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete